Welcome New Allergic Girl Readers

Welcome new blog readers, I'm so glad you're here. Here’s an orientation about who this Allergic Girl is and what this blog is about. Read on!

***

I have food allergies and I have had since infancy. If I consume certain foods to which I am allergic, my immune system believes it’s being invaded. I can experience itchy ears, an itchy mouth, itchy lips, an itchy throat, hives, asthma or even anaphlyaxis.

Food allergies and allergen-friendly restaurants for are my focus when I dine out and are my guideposts and criteria for Allergic Girl and Allergic Girl Recommends.

I'm so grateful for all of you readers with celiac disease or gluten- or wheat- intolerance and I'm thrilled that you find my site helpful. I hope it continues to be that way for you for a long time. However, my possible food intolerances to wheat, dairy and soy are not allergies nor do I have celiac disease.

My restaurant and product reviews should be read with that understanding i.e. my focus is to dine free of my allergens; dining "gluten-free", "dairy-free" or "soy-free" is secondary to me as those are only possible intolerances.

To recap according to WebMD, symptoms of an food intolerance can include:
Nausea
Stomach pain
Gas, cramps, or bloating
Vomiting
Heartburn
Diarrhea
Headaches
Irritability or nervousness

And according to National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, symptoms of a food allergy can include:
Itching in your mouth or swelling
GI symptoms, such as vomiting, diarrhea, or abdominal cramps and pain
Hives or eczema
Tightening of the throat and trouble breathing
Drop in blood pressure

Bottom line: I encourage anyone reading this blog who is having ANY adverse reactions to foods to discuss their symptoms with their board certified medical professional and get the medical answers they need to stay safe and healthy.

In this blog and in my book, I explore strategies for dining safely with any dietary restriction, whether food allergic or food intolerant. So, read on to see how I dine, free of my allergens, one meal at a time!

Comments

Popular Posts