Recipe: 4 Ingredient Pulled Pork

I have never made pulled pork before. In fact, I rarely make pork or even eat it. Except for bacon occasionally (at landmarc at Time Warner Center or purchased to be cooked from Marlow & Daughters in Brooklyn), I’m hardly a pork aficionado but I saw this recipe on my Allergic Girl Facebook feed a few weeks back and thought: this looks dead easy and delicious.

Brown sugar, salt, pepper and pork but plus time – what could be simpler? For this July 4th, my family did a small picnic and I asked my mom to make this – I made dessert. She made the pork butt (really a rolled up shoulder) in the oven and that worked out perfectly.  She added only 2 T of kosher salt and we both thought a touch more sugar wouldn’t have hurt but the result as is was stupendous. 

As we tore into the cooling shoulder to hand shred, tastes kept falling into our mouths. I’d make this again in a second for a crowd or for a pork loving partner.

Here's the cooling "butt" just before we started shredding. Oh my!


Best part, it’s top 8 allergen free and with five pounds of meat you can make all kinds of dishes family for days.

After we hand shredded and had many, many tastes


Here’s the original recipe from Epicurious, below with my mom’s variations:

Brown Sugar BBQ Pork Butt Recipe 
by Epicurious.com, adapted by my mom

YIELD: Serves 4–6
ACTIVE TIME: 10 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 5 hours (plus overnight seasoning)

INGREDIENTS
1/4 cup sugar in the raw (option use ½ cup sugar)
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 /1/2 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1 (4-5-pound) bone-in pork butt

PREPARATION
Combine sugar, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Place pork in foil tray and rub all over with sugar mixture, then cover tray with foil and chill overnight.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees and roast pork in large roasting pan, basting with any juices from pan every 30 minutes until pork is very tender, 4–5 hours. Let stand at least 15 minutes before shredding.

Do Ahead

Pork can be kept covered in the refrigerator after grilling for up to 5 days. When ready to serve, Preheat oven to 250°F. Place pork in a roasting pan with a few tablespoons of water. Cover with foil and rewarm pork until hot, 20–25 minutes.

Close-up of shredded porky perfection

Comments

Popular Posts