Recipe: Strawberry Thyme Quick Jam, Vegan, Nut-Free



As part of my January #cook90 challenge with Epicurious (they’re running another one in May 2017, too) I wanted to use more herbs and spices in my cooking.

I stopped a few years back because, well, you know, those scary cumin tree nut and peanut recalls.  Ugh, I love cumin. But, now, given that those recalls are long over, I need to rejoin my spicy, herby life. So, I’ve been adding fresh herbs, dried herbs and spices back into my cooking (without allergy issue).

And one discovery: berries and herbs, who knew they loved each other so hard?! I made this blackberry thyme chocolate bark, sensational!  

I had some thyme left over from a lamb dish, this one, and thought they might pair well with strawberries. Oh they do, they do! It’s a subtle herby note to this jam, that would go swirled into plain yogurt, like I did here, or I could see it slathered with mayo on a turkey sammy (!), in a frosting for cake (recipe soon on that one) or in a cake itself. The variations and uses are endless.

 ***

Recipe: Strawberry Thyme Quick Jam, Vegan, Nut-Free

16 ounces (or 1 light pint) of strawberries, washed, topped and hulled
½ lemon, juice squeezed and reserved
¼ cup of turbinado sugar
A few sprigs of fresh thyme, rinsed, leaves removed

In a large nonreactive pot, on medium high heat, bring all ingredients to a boil then simmer for 10 minutes until the strawberries fall apart. You can also help them my mashing with a fork or spatula whilst they simmer but I like whole pieces of berries in my quick jam. After about 10 minutes, have a taste; if it need more sugar you can add, if it’s too thin let it continue to cook down, if you want more of an herby not, add some more fresh thyme. Place into a jar or non-reactive container to cool. Try to avoid spooning 12,000 tastes but do ladle over some buttered bread, yogurt or ice cream just to make sure it’s delicious. (Oh yes, it will be.)



Comments

Popular Posts