Recipe: Easy, #Allergenfriendly Apple Crumble

The perfect bite


Baked apple crumble lusciousness

This homemade warm apple crumble was served (with a side of commercial coffee ice cream) and swoons of delight were heard around my Rosh Hashanah 2017 table. My mother said, “This might be better than your blueberry crumble”. My bae said, “The crumb is better, tastier. How did you do that?” I’ll never tell them, but I will tell you all of my secrets.

This vegetarian, peanut, tree nut, gluten/wheat, fish/shellfish, soy and egg FREE apple crumble is beyond delish. It's super easy to throw together and really, can suit most diets. I will be serving this again for Thanksgiving and at my next dinner party.

Recipe Notes: 
I found and quickly fell in love with this three-ingredient crumble recipe by Epicurious.  As written using wheat flour, it’s already peanut-free, tree nut-free, egg-free, soy-free, fish-free and shellfish free – which is a lot of FREEEEEES.

I further adapted the Epicurious crumble recipe to be wheat and gluten-free. But you could totally make the Epicurious recipe as is, if you can do wheat.

If you are celiac, have a wheat allergy or a gluten or wheat intolerance, use the gluten-free all-purpose flour of your choice. I used Gluten-Free Bisquick because it’s versatile: you can make pancakes, scones, biscuits, cobbler and crumble with it and I like something multipurpose and easy to get. Gluten-Free Bisquick is in all of your big brand stores these days.

I used organic butter by Horizon Organic (I like my diary to be organic when possible) and I used dark brown sugar by Dominos.

I used a glass pie plate measuring 9.5 inches in diameter and this amount of fruit and crumble worked perfectly. If you don’t have that size pie plate or baking dish, use what you have and eyeball it. You really can’t go wrong here.

PRO TIP: Make and chill your crumble ahead, even a day ahead (I like to do as much prep as possible before a big dinner party and getting the crumble done ahead and one thing done!) A CHILLED gluten-free flour mix will hold the big yummy crumble chunks better. Don’t worry if you don’t have time to chill it though, it’ll still come out beautifully.


Getting ready for the oven - look at those YUMMY crumble chunks!


***

Recipe: Easy, Allergen-Friendly Apple Crumble 
(Recipe lightly adapted from Epicurious and my blueberry crumble recipe)

Crumble:
1/2 cup Dominos dark brown sugar

1 stick Horizon Organic cold organic sweet butter

1 cup Gluten-Free Bisquick 

Fruit:
4 medium-large apples (about 5 cups), washed, peeled and cut into small pieces
1/4 cup Dominos dark brown sugar
A dash of ground cinnamon


Preheat your oven to 375°F. Butter a glass pie dish measuring 9.5 inches in diameter. Mix the apples, sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Taste the filling and adjust if necessary. In a separate bowl, cut the chilled butter into the “flour” and sugar with your hands until it forms large clumps and everything is incorporated. Keep those clumps! Add the fruit to the pie plate and spread the crumble on top until the fruit is all covered (some fruit peeking through is fine).

Bake your crisp in a 375°F oven until the fruit juices are bubbling and the topping is golden brown, that was 45 minutes for me. (Epicurious states that cooking time can take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour, depending on the size of your crisp and the type of your fruit. So keep that in mind, too.)

Serve warm with pouring cream, whipped cream, ice cream or just solo and try not to eat it all in one go.


***





Comments

Popular Posts