Oak Room, NYC

Reopened only three weeks ago, the Oak Room in the historic Plaza Hotel was one of my favorite place for drinks before the Plaza Hotel was sold.

I'm so glad it’s open again. The last time I was there, there was still smoking allowed. I know, gasp! They’ve restored much of it’s former glory (here's a New York Times slide show about that restoration process): huge windows overlooking central park, oak paneled walls, paintings depicting various New York City scenes, 50 years or so. (Management has added a cheap looking plastic divider separating the bar from the clubby seats. Oak Room MGT: Please get rid of it, you don’t need it.)

This is how it looked before the Plaza was sold, from Go NYC. And how funny? Coincidentally, I took some of the same views.

Here's the Oak Room from drinks the night before Thanksgiving.

The picture behind the bar:


The new copper-topped bar:


My prosecco on the copper topped bar:


One of the murals:


Just gorgeous. One of New York’s most elegant spaces is back.

UPDATE: Or not. Vanity Fair piece this month about troubles at the Plaza. [Through Eater.com]

Comments

Popular Posts