Recipe: Roasted Strawberries, Vegan, Allergen-free



Strawberries. They always seem like a great idea but usually they don’t quite work out for me: when raw they are often too acidic, too bitey. I don’t think I’m OAS to them but cooking strawberries definitely opens up a whole world of yum, fragrant goodness with strawberries.

I make quick strawberry jam all the time. Recipe here. But roasting your strawberries?! Roasting unlocks their strawberry-ness in a new way, concentrating their flavor in a different way and it’s totally easy.

Recipe Notes: 
I used a quarter sheet tray for roasting these strawberries, and I wrapped it well with foil for ease of cleanup. But you don’t need to if you don’t mind a sticky tray. Just make sure to use a roasting tray with a lip as there is sticky juice that you want to capture and keep away from your oven floor. (See above.)

I use Sugar in the Raw. Brown sugar or white granulated sugar is fine, too. If the strawberries are super sweet, you could try skipping the sugar and see what happens. I’m sure it would be still yum.


Recipe: Roasted Strawberries, Vegan, Allergen-free

1 pound fresh Strawberries, washed, topped, hulled and sliced in half
2 T Turbinado sugar 

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Toss strawberries and sugar together in a big bowl. Lay out on foil covered tray.  Roast at 375 for about 45 minutes or until fragrant, somewhat deflated/concentered and there is bubbling juice. Taste one, you’ll taste when it’s cooked down, concentrated and done.  While still warm spoon over vanilla ice cream. And try not to swoon. Once chilled spoon over yogurt, mix with other fruits, smear on some buttered bread. Go on. It’s so YUM!

Thank you @joythebaker for the inspiration.

***


Join me on Instagram @allergicgirlnyc and on my Facebook feed to see what I'm cooking right now and to cook allergen-friendly with me!




Comments

Popular Posts