Food Allergy Counseling: Interview: No Nuts Mom Group Founder, Lisa Rutter

I met Lisa in person last year at the EpiPen Blogger Summit where I was a featured speaker (more on that here); however, I had been hearing about her Facebook page for some time as it provides a space for parents of food allergic children to connect and share resources. Recently I had a chance to ask Lisa more about her group, NO NUTS MOM GROUP (NNMG).

***



Allergic Girl: Tell us a little about you, Lisa?

Lisa Rutter, NO NUTS MOM GROUP (NNMG): I live in MI with my husband and my 4 and 6 year old boys.  My 6 year old has food allergies to peanuts and tree nuts. I am a stay at home mother, Founder of NO NUTS MOM GROUP (NNMG) and Co-Leader of a local support group called FACES of Michigan

AG: Tell us about why you created
NO NUTS MOM GROUP (NNMG)?

NNMG: I started the group as soon as my son was diagnosed at 3 years old. It was a way for both us to connect with others dealing with the same thing. I wanted playmates for my son and I didn't want to have to worry about being around peanuts and nuts at play dates.  Shortly after the group started, I became more actively involved in the food allergy community and as I learned more, I wanted to help more. The group started as just a playgroup, but has now become so much more. 

AG: What is the NO NUTS MOM GROUP mission?

NNMG: The No Nuts Moms Group is a group dedicated to connecting others, educating and raising awareness throughout our communities. We are also a great online support community.

As the Website states: "Welcome to No Nuts Moms Group!  We are a group dedicated to learning, educating and supporting others.  We have 53 peanut and tree nut free groups for all ages.  If you are looking to meet other families that are dealing with life threatening food allergies, please check out our groups tab located at the top of this page.  They are FREE to join!"

AG: What can we look forward to in 2014 from NO NUTS MOM GROUP?

NNMG: We would love to see more groups pop up in other cities. We will continue to raise awareness and connect others dealing with life threatening allergies.

AG: What aspect of NO NUTS MOM GROUP are you most excited about?

NNMG: Connecting and helping other food allergy families. But the group is also not just for peanut tree nut allergic. We are open to all with life threatening food allergies. I don't get paid to do any of this. It is one of the most rewarding jobs I have ever had. I feel very close to so many of these families. It helps me and it helps others and it just feels good.  And I love my family and my son and I know I am making the world a better place for them.

AG: How can we find NO NUTS MOM GROUP online?

NNMG: Website: http://nonutsmomsgroup.weebly.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nonutsmomsgroup
Twitter: https://twitter.com/nonutsmomsgroup
Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/nonutsmoms/



***
 

Thank you, Lisa of NO NUTS MOM GROUP and every food allergy parent for your tireless work to support your children as they grow into young adults living confidently with food allergies.

Comments

Popular Posts