Watermelon

Bought my first of the season watermelon at Whole Foods on Sunday. It says Made in USA but doesn’t say where. Hmm, that’s a bit disconcerting; I’d like to know how far it traveled to get to NYC, since I’m trying to go local. But I’ve also been harboring a serious watermelon need for a few weeks. And as the season has begun, I gave into my non-local urges. Admitedly, the whole one was pricey. But I had to have it (is that wrong?), so I snapped it up. (Snap up is inaccurate: I happily hauled up what must have been 8 pounds or more of watermelon flesh). Thank goodness I picked a good one-don’t you hate it when you buy a whole uncut watermelon during the summer just to find that it’s rotten or tasteless or sour? Hate that.

In the local vein, I bought local luscious tulips over the last two Saturdays at the Union Square greenmarket -the ones from this past Saturday are still opening up. I also bought some local fingerling potatoes and made roasted potatoes to go with my local eggs, scrambled. Hmmm, sauteed ramps over GF pasta with parmesan and extra virgin olive oil might be spectacular. Maybe, I'll swing by today's market and pick up some, I’ll let you know.

Comments

Heather said…
Did you find ramps?? I've been looking for them...
Allergic Girl® said…
the potatoes guy, on the union sq west side, he has insanely curly hair, he had them...
Heather said…
Ok, thanks. I'll check it out at lunch today. Yay! Your dinner idea may become my dinner, too. :)
Allergic Girl® said…
it's an easy one. i may wander over to the market today myself and see what's what!
Heather said…
I got some! (And some asparagus, too.) Now I've stolen your dinner idea! :)
Allergic Girl® said…
yay! let me know what you end up making. i wasnt able to stop at the market so i just finished up some organic salad greens, topped with organic chick peas, capers, golden raisins, oil and apple cider vinegar. yummy. dinner will be chinese tonight out.
Heather said…
The woman at the market (same potato stand, different person today) suggested this preparation for the ramps: sautee in olive oil w/ pasta. She said to cut off the white parts and saute those first, and then at the end, add in the greens, just so that they wilt like spinach. Toss with pasta!

And since I cannot leave well enough alone, I also checked Epicurious, and they suggested adding some lemon zest and pureeing the whole ramp mixture...
Allergic Girl® said…
yes to lemon, but puree ramp? maybe ramp pesto?
i say wilted would be great! ohh so excited for your dinner!

Popular Posts