The Simpsons Movie

More movies…

I’m not a Simpsons watcher. I could never get through an entire episode but a friend suggested this for a laugh, and I thought, "Yeah, sure, why not. Afterall, I am a Futurama fan".(Don’t ask.) I needed funny this weekend and Simpsons delivered.

The beloved anti-hero Homer does a seriously stupid and very anti-environmental thing [don’t dump Spider Pig’s waste into the town lake boys and girls] which almost obliterates the town of Springfield as well as his family. [Many of the beloved side-characters were there but in only small supporting cast roles as my movie date mentioned forlornly but which I barely registered]. Don't worry, it's all okay in the end.

Equally fascinating, to me at least, was the make-up of the packed audience on Friday night: adults, kids, babies, kids, teens-everyone was there. They clapped, they laughed, they sighed and they stayed through the end credits, which I recommend-there are some cute bits at the very, very end.

We sat next to a father and son duo, both still in work clothes: blue shirts, black pants, dress shoes and blackberries in tow. These two men typified the cross-generational impact of the 14-year franchise. I overheard the father, who was sitting next to me and maybe in his late 40s, talking to the screen when he saw his favorite characters, cheering them on. It was kind of adorable. His kid, a young man in his 20s, was right there with him.

Comments

Weatherboy said…
Futurama is better, of course, and the Simpsons hasn't ever reached the heights of when Conan O'Brien was writing on the show but the movie is still pretty good.
Anonymous said…
Futurama is one of my favorites, too! I'm going to see The Simpsons on Thursday w/the hubby who is a huge fan. Glad to know I'll be amused as well.
Allergic Girl® said…
hee! yay, two other Futurama fans, i thought it was only me...
Reel Fanatic said…
Although the Simpsons movie was indeed tons of fun, Futurama is just the best animated show ever .. I'm so psyched that there's gonna be a Futurama movie soon on dvd
Allergic Girl® said…
oooh a futurama movie on dvd--very cool, thanks reel fanatic!

Popular Posts