Self-Help Books, Food Allergies

Ten years ago, when I was a newly minted social worker working at an outpatient mental health clinic, we were taught to encourage our clients to seek out and utilize whatever resources available to them, including self-help books.

Now as a private clinician, I continue to encourage all of my clients whether Worry-Free Dinners members or individuals to use all resources available to them, including self-help books.

"Self-help" is not limited to a book seller's classification system and can come in many forms. One of my individual clients loved French Women for All Seasons: A Year of Secrets, Recipes, & Pleasure She felt it helped her reconnect to the pleasure of food even after her diagnosis of food allergies and food intolerances. Brilliant idea! I just ordered it from my local library, am curious to check it out.

Have there been any books of late that have been helpful to you or your food allergic family? Do tell.

PS: I have a stack of self-help, diet and cookbooks on my desk, reviews are on the way.

Comments

I read "French Women Don't Get Fat" and even though it got panned as a diet book, I gleaned some useful information from that book. And I still make the Chicken Au Champagne recipe (although I don't use Veuve Clicquot because I'm not independently wealthy). I think the French can teach us a lot about living. And from what I've read they have a much better handle on food allergies than we do.

There are many books that I have felt really helped me with my sons food allergies over the years. I say use them all and take bits and pieces from each one. From actual food allergy recipe books to diet books you can find a wealth of information in each one.

Reviews coming from me too :)

And thanks for pointing out the "French Women for All Seasons: A Year of Secrets, Recipes, & Pleasure". I had not seen that but will be ordering that from my library too :)

Popular Posts