Fig Jam, Recipe

The California Fig Advisory Board , with whom I had a lovely dinner in the spring at Rouge Tomate, sent me some figs to play with and I made jams/compotes/preserves. Using a base recipe from colleague Nissa of Ger-Nis, I made three kinds.

With the Black Missions, I made straight-up jam: figs, simple syrup and lemon. Very sweet and quite luscious, I have been spreading it with cream cheese on toast. It’s been a huge hit with everyone who has been lucky enough to grab some away from me.



With the Calimynra fig, I made a savory fig jam, using the name base recipe omitting the cinnamon and adding the rosemary. With this I’ve paired it with goat cheese for a savory and sweet pizza much like the one on Udi's Website.





The Sierra fig turned into a spiced fig jam. Again using simple syrup, I added cloves, all spice, cinnamon and hot pepper flakes. I may spread it on some meat before the week is out.

Interesting figgy fact from the California Fig Advisory Board : "Figs provide more fiber than any other common fruit or vegetable. The fiber in figs is both soluble and insoluble. Both types of fiber are important for good health. Figs have nutrients especially important for today's busy lifestyles. One quarter-cup serving of dried figs provides 5 grams of fiber -- 20% of the recommended Daily Value. That serving also adds 6% of iron, 6% of calcium, and 7% of the Daily Value for potassium. And, they have no fat, no sodium, and no cholesterol. Recent research has shown that California Figs also have a high quantity of polyphenol antioxidants."

Thank you California Fig Advisory Board for the special treat!

Comments

Popular Posts