Recipe: Nut-Free, Gluten-Free, Easy Granola





“The more prepared I am, I the more spontaneous I can be.”

I said that during a session with a food allergy counseling client last week and it is so true for those of us who have severe life threatening food allergies.

Running around town like I do, I frequently need to eat a snack on the go.  Anything safe that I can grab and go and keep in my pocket or purse that doesn’t spoil is great.

Homemade granola has been my go-to snack since I saw this Mark Bittman recipe in 2009. I didn’t know granola could be made so easily and so well. I simplified the recipe further to four ingredients. I make large batches, and then take small snack packs with me so I always have a safe snack and can be spontaneous!

###

Easy Granola Recipe

4 cups of Rolled Oats
½ cup Maple Syrup
A few dashes of cinnamon
A dash of kosher salt

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a large and deep baking pan with parchment paper (makes clean up incredibly easy). In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix until each oat is coated with maple syrup. Taste. If the mixture needs more cinnamon, add one more dash. Bake in the oven, stirring the oats and turning the pan every ten minutes. The oats will be done when they sound dryer as you stir, smell fragrant and look brown toasty, about 25 minutes. Let the mixture cool thoroughly, place in an air tight container and store. Since they don’t have any oil they should not go rancid quickly; however mine haven’t ever lasted more than a month, because I gobbled them down.


Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts