Recipe: No-Churn Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream, Nut-Free, Egg-Free, Gluten-Free, Nut-Free



I love mint chocolate chip ice cream, like LOVE love. So, it was a no-brainer to adapt the classic no churn ice cream recipe to suit my mint chocolate needs. Here's The Kitchn's version of the no-churn ice cream recipe as well.

I’ve talked about these ingredients before in the salted caramel ice cream post (OMG yes!) but will again below.

***

Heavy cream – let’s talk. Most commercial heavy creams have gums and stabilizers, even the organic ones. And that’s fine, I’ve used these brands to make whipped cream my entire life without issue. Typically, gums/stabilizers aren’t nut or fish based. which are my severe allergens. (Check with manufacturers directly about your needs.) But. Given a choice of creams, I prefer a cream that’s just cream, especially if I can pick it up at my local store. And luckily, most regular grocery stores do carry many heavy cream options. My point here is read the labels of everything, even if it seems counterintuitive (how is milk not just milk? Sigh, often it’s not just milk); read the labels every time, because even heavy cream can have more than one ingredient. I’ve been loving heavy cream Natural By Nature, of late. Some store carry local dairy brands, go for that too. 

Sweetened condensed milk. I use what’s on sale, like the big brands: Eagle Brand, Nestle’s Carnation, Magnolia. Feeling nervous, you can make it yourself, easily, here’s a recipe from Food52

Chocolate. Divvies and Enjoy Life Foods are my go to eating and cooking brands. There are more options depending upon your needs, use a safe for you brand.

Flavorings/Extracts: Nielsen Massey has been my go to for, oh, at least 15 years or more. I love them. The Tahitian vanilla, ugh so good! Here’s their allergen information, too! 

Make this recipe, it’s so easy and it means you can have safe for you ice cream ANY TIME!

***

Recipe: No-Churn Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

1 pint (two cups) of heavy whipping cream 
1 fourteen-ounce can sweetened condensed milk 
½ cup chocolate chips (more or less depending on you!)
1 teaspoon of vanilla 
1-2 teaspoons of peppermint flavor 

Whip the cream into soft peaks. Fold in the condensed milk. Mix thoroughly until completely combined and no streaks. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1-2 teaspoons mint flavor and mix thoroughly. Add the chocolate chips and give a few folds of the spatula until evenly distributed.  Pour mixture into a container with a cover. Lay  saran wrap directly on top of the mixture to ensure no air gets in. Freeze 6-8 hours or overnight. Try not to eat it all at once. 

Comments

Popular Posts