Food Allergies, Classroom

From another from an Allergic Girl blog reader and a Worry-Free Dinners member.

***

We had a similar experience this week with my 3 1/2 year old at her preschool. As parents of allergic children, we are always hopeful that they are absorbing all of our cautions and explanations, but we are never sure as they are so young and it's such a big concept.

They made applesauce in her class, but forgot to tell me they were doing it so I was unable to double check the safety and give the go ahead for her to have it...and they don't feed her anything that I don't approve. So at snack time, all the children had applesauce and my daughter had her safe crackers. Naturally, I felt so bad for her, but she was not bothered in the slightest.

I asked her if she had wanted to try the applesauce to which she responded, "Mommy, I didn't want that applesauce because I didn't know if it was safe and I don't eat anything that you don't check."

My heart skipped a beat! I went from feel sorry for her to feeling so incredibly proud of her!! I told her that she was such a big girl to understand her allergy and to be able to make such a big decision on her own!

We made another big deal of it at dinnertime when my husband was there to congratulate her and give her high 5's! It seems like a small thing, but in our world it was a huge moment!!


***

Keep these stories coming, they encourage all of us!

Comments

Elana said…
A few weeks ago my 2 food allergic children were left in the care of good friends for a day. I had sent a safe food lunch anticipating that we would be home in time for dinner and all would be well. Traffic of course prevented our timely return and they opted to take them to a local Italian restaurant after a phone call. My son who is Peanut/Treenut allergic kept reminding our friends about my daughter's multiple food allergies (milk, egg, peanut, treenut, fish, and shellfish allergies). My friends knew and had the restaurant spiel down pat from numerous outings with us. My son still not sure went on to tell the server "Make sure there is absolutely no dairy or egg in the sauce of pasta because if she has it she may die, and that would be bad for business" Glad to know that they are looking out for each other, even when mom and dad aren't around. We've been dealing with my daughter's allergies since she was 10 months old, she is now 8. My son who is 9 just got diagnosed with peanut/treenut allergies earlier this year after a reaction to peanut.
I love how my 14 yr old daughter looks out for her 7 yo food allergic brother. She's known since age 10 how to read packages for allergens (including hidden/non-obvious terms). She took a FirstAid/CPR class so she'd be extra safe babysitting him, and knows how to use his epi.

It's great when everyone, not just the parents, get involved in their care!
Jenny said…
As the mother of a child with severe nut allergies, there is no more reassuring feeling than when you see your child make a safe choice for themselves. Also,it's never too early to start teaching kids to handle their allergy. Thanks for the uplifting story!

Popular Posts