AAFA Survey About “May Contain” Labels

Remember there's a FDA open hearing about this very topic next week? Well, AAFA is going to the hearing and is also looking to be armed with some data in the ongoing post-hearing discussions about what YOU think about the "May Contain" labels.

I have some very definite ideas about those labels, especially as most of the products in Trader Joe’s are nut, wheat, dairy contaminated if all of those labels are to be taken at face value.

Take the survey; let your voice be heard.

From AAFA:

The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America is asking people with food allergies and their caretakers to take an online survey.

The purpose of the survey is to find out how people use the labels on foods that list ingredients and the warnings that a product may be contaminated by a known allergen.

Currently, federal law requires food manufacturers to include any of eight major allergens in the ingredients list on the label if the allergens are present in a food product.

Advisory labels, saying that a product may contain an allergen, are not required, although many manufacturers use them. However, the wording of these advisories varies.

If you would like to participate in this short, online survey, please click the survey link and make sure to complete the survey before October 31, 2008!

Thank you for completing the survey and providing AAFA with this important information!”

Comments

Lise Samson said…
I bet that decisions taken in United States will have consequences in Canada. Thank you for keeping us informed!
Amy said…
I found your blog from CNN - was so glad to find a kindred spirit in you as I also choose to enjoy a wheat-free, sugar-free, lactose-free, soy-free, low processed food-free lifestyle. :-) I also choose to not eat flour or caffeine.

Thanks for the link to that survey - I took it and let them know my feelings about the ambiguous ingredients like "Natural Flavoring" in products. I hate that! Every single item needs to be labeled, IMO.
Manofmayo said…
I avoid Trader Joes because of that one little sentence...."may contain...dairy...."

RUN FOR THE HILLS
Kelly said…
Thanks so much for listing this! Labels are so confusing and it's so hard to know what my daughter (who has a severe allergy to tree-nuts) can and can't eat. I took the survey! Thanks so much, I love your blog.
The Nice One said…
Thanks for that link.
I'm glad I stumbled upon your blog. You sound like my daughter. Dairy Allergic (yea, that's not lactose, people..!), Seasonal Allergies, Asthma=Awesome.
Thanks for the great resources.
dd03 said…
lol, The Nice One! I so know what you mean. When I tell people about my milk allergy, I always have to add at some point..."No, not intolerant, allergic. I can have no milk proteins at all, including whey and casein." *le sigh*

I still have to remind my family..."No, I can't have that but thanks." and get a whole lotta "Oh, I forgot." lol

It's a constant reminding to peeps.

Unfortunately, I missed this post and didn't get to fill out the survey!

Popular Posts