King Arthur, Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake Mix



I’m a big fan of the gluten-free and top eight allergen-free line from King Arthur Flour; however, I haven't tried everything. So, last week, when I threw a special dinner party, I knew I wanted to make chocolate cupcakes with white icing. Having never used the King Arthur Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake Mix, I bought a box and thought I’d give it a test run. 
The result, I’m pleased to report was a chocolate cupcake with fine, soft crumb. The cake is moist with a deep cocoa flavor that is not overly sweet and has no aftertaste, as some GF products and mixes do. Two testers said: “If you didn’t tell me this was gluten-free, I would have never known”. They are that good. So good in fact, I totally forgot to take a beauty shot! I topped them with Brooklyn Allergy Mom’s “buttercream frosting” also out of this world good.
Here's more info about this mix from the King Arthur Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake Mix site:
  • Certified Gluten-Free™ by the non-profit Gluten-Free Certification Organization (GFCO), a program of the Gluten Intolerance Group (GIG®).
  • Beat in 4 eggs, vegetable oil, water, and gluten-free vanilla extract. Spoon into 2 round layer pans, bake, and enjoy. Add your own frosting, if desired.
  • Another benefit: we’ve worked hard to ensure that cake made from our mix will stay fresher longer than cake made from other mixes.
  • Wheat-free, soy-free, nut-free mix is packed in a dedicated gluten-free facility.
  • No additives, preservatives, or artificial flavors.
  • Kosher.
  • 22-ounce mix makes two 8” or 9” round layers.
  • Note: You must use an electric hand mixer or electric stand mixer to make this mix.
And here is a PDF of the ingredients online - great transparency King Arthur Flour - thank you.


Nota Bene: For many of the King Arthur Flour gluten-free mixes, you do need to add allergens back in like dairy and eggs. Here’s the King Arthur Flour community discussion board about their GF line and even a question about making this mix egg-free.

King Arthur Gluten-Free Flour, thank you for another winner product that makes allergen-friendly desserts and entertaining that much easier.

Comments

Jen said…
I have many allergies, Soy being one of them. I know from personal experience, most Vegetable Oils are Soy Oil-another allergen you are adding back into a product that you are trying to make "free and clean".

-Jen Rasnick
So glad you enjoyed the mix! Thank you for sharing it with your readers. -Allison

Popular Posts