Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Noodle Kugel

Did you get all excited thinking I had a recipe? Sorry, my lovelies, I don't.

It's another year another noodle-free, matzoh-free Passover for me.

I won’t lie.

It sucks.

Matzoh ball soup is one of my all time favorites. Matzoh brei? I could live on the stuff.

Noodle kugel? Well, perhaps there is some light there. Maybe there is a possibility that I could make this into a GF/DF version? Have you? I could slip in some rice noodles with Lactaid milk but how to replace the sour cream? Oy, oy, oy, that is going to be quite a trick.

Every year I make this kugel [glutinous and dairy-ful recipe below]. They kvell in the aisles. Seriously, there’s fighting over leftovers.

But how to make an Allergic Girl friendly one, as well as the crowd-pleaser?

Here is the recipe for the traditional one, courtesy of Epicurious.com--go, play, make substitutions and tell me the results, I'm going try a few versions myself...

EASIEST NOODLE KUGEL

8 ounces wide egg noodles
1 cup dark raisins
5 large eggs
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted, cooled
1/3 cup sugar
4 cups whole milk
3 cups cornflakes, coarsely crushed
, 1/4 cup (packed) dark brown sugar 

Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 13 x 9 x 2-inch glass baking dish. Spread uncooked noodles over bottom of prepared dish and sprinkle with raisins. Whisk eggs, sour cream, butter and sugar in large bowl until smooth. Whisk in milk and pour mixture over noodles. Let kugel stand 5 minutes.

Mix cornflakes and brown sugar in bowl; sprinkle evenly over kugel.

Bake kugel until set in center, about 1 hour. Cut kugel into squares. Serve warm or at room temperature. 

Serves 8 to 10.



Bon Appétit

Too Busy To Cook
November 1998

Anita Hacker, Los Angeles CA
Epicurious.com ©
CondéNet, Inc. All rights reserved.


PS I totally mixed up holidays. Kugel is for the New Year NOT passover. OY. However, in Fairway I discovered some GF Passover egg nodles from Israel: Gefen. So I'm going to make it anyway. The downside is that although Gefen IS GF, they use "Walnut Oil" in most of the GF noodle products. Go figure.

Comments

I know it's not quite what you're dreaming of, but jerusalem style kugel could be made with GF noodles, and they don't contain any dairy.
Glutano makes a GF egg noodle, I don't know about the nutty stuff flying around over there, I guess you'd have to check into it.
http://www.glutenfreemall.com/catalog/glutano-glutenfree-pasta-tagliatelle-p-63.html

* noodles (GF maybe?)
* Sugar
* Black Pepper
* Koshering Salt
* Oil
* 2 Eggs

boil the noodles until soft and then drain. Put them in a pot or large mixing bowl. Add to this ½ cup of sugar, ¾ tablespoon of black pepper, and one tablespoon of koshering salt. Mix.

Now take a frying pan and cook together ½ cup of sugar and ½ cup of oil. Fry them until they turn brown and carmelize. Carefully add this hot mixture in the fry pan to the noodle mixture in the bowl.

Add two beaten eggs and mix well. Put mixture in a baking pan. Make certain that the mixture is at least 1 ½ inches thick, two to three inches is good; less than 1 ½ inches gives a stiff kugel.

Bake in an oven at 350ºF for 40 to 50 minutes. The kugel will be ready when the top begins to turn dark brown and it becomes solid it is ready.
I don't actually avoid gluten, but my daughter had severe dairy allergies until recently. Your blog is so interesting, I read it every day so I figured I better comment already.
Allergic Girl® said…
thanks carmen, always good to have another GF kugel recipe and glutino does have nut-free products, don't know about their noodles, though. i haven't even seen GF noodles here in the NYC markets.

keep reading!
Unknown said…
Tofutti makes awesome soy sour cream. Not sure if you can eat that, but it's really good.
~M said…
Would it work to use a So Delicious coconut milk yogurt? Even a regular yogurt might work if low-lactose is your goal due to the probiotics.
Big Scott said…
Aren't Kosher for Passover Noodles completely gluten free?? They are all made out of potato starch.

As for the dairy, I might switch to a pareve recipe. here is a link to one

http://judaism.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ/Ya&sdn=judaism&cdn=religion&tm=4&f=11&tt=14&bt=1&bts=1&zu=http%3A//www.kashrut.com/recipes/noodle_kugel/

But almost all kosher fruit/noodle kugels have non dairy instructions
Unknown said…
Gluten free noodle ??? wonderful recipe. I love noodle so much. It’s Yummy and simply irresistable. But the thing I’m afraid is it contains so much carbohydrate. But now I found a new way to replace normal Pasta and noodles. Do you know about Vietnamese brown Rice noodle? It’s 100 percent good for your health. So thrilled to come across this Vietnamese noodle soup Happy Pho. It takes 15 mins for me to cook & has super healthy ingredients, so it’s tasty and doesn’t make me feel terrible afterwards like a lot of Asian prepackaged products. I found it at Whole Foods Berkeley but I think they’re at a bunch of other stores too. check their sites and surprise: http://staranisefoods.com

Popular Posts