Mocktails, Again

So I was at Flatiron Lounge last Wednesday before a night out and had the same mocktail that I had last time was there: the fresh ginger-lemonade, this time without an egg-foam head.

I asked our adorable bartender if they usually make this drink with egg whites.

He said, "Never."

I said, "Last time I was here, that's how they made it?"

He was shocked.

He said, “Well, he made it wrong. They never make that drink with egg whites.”

Huh.

Another Allergic Girl mystery. I should start my own series.

Anyway, in today's New York Times, they feature the summer mocktail with some dandy recipes. They include some Mocktails from the Crypt from the mocktail-ologist herself, Julie Reiner of Flatiron Lounge and others.

Recipe below courtesy of the New York Times.

Watermelon Cucumber Punch, adapted from P*ong.

Time: 15 minutes

1 1/4 pounds fresh seedless watermelon cubes

2 Kirby cucumbers, peeled and cut into chunks

4 ounces fresh lemon juice

2 ounces agave syrup (see note)

1 ounce aloe vera juice (see note)

Thinly sliced cucumber rounds, for garnish.

1. In a blender, purée watermelon until smooth. Strain and set aside 12 ounces juice.

2. Add cucumbers to blender with 1 tablespoon water. Purée until smooth. Strain and set aside 1 ounce juice.

3. In a cocktail shaker, combine watermelon juice, cucumber juice and all other ingredients. Shake well. Pour into ice-filled rocks glasses and serve, garnished with cucumber rounds.

Yield: 4 cocktails.

Note: Aloe vera juice and agave syrup are available in health food stores.

Comments

Jenny said…
The drink sounds delish.

I like the idea of the mystery series--you can be like an Allergic Girl Nancy Drew. My only question is--who gets to be the Hardy Boys??
Allergic Girl® said…
oooh good question! i'm taking applications [altho i did love shawn and peter as a wee babe]
Jenny said…
Me, too! Shaun Cassidy was my favorite. :)

Popular Posts