Vegan Kimchi, Recipe

Fish allergic but still love Kimchi, the spicy, fermenty national fish of Korea? Chef Billy Brigtsen made me some fish-free Kimchi for my bday party, vegan Kimchi that I’m still enjoying. Here’s how he did it.


Kimchi
Copyright Billy Brigtsen

2 heads of savoy cabbage, leafs separated and submerged in a salt water solution (one quart of water to 1/4 cup of salt ) for 24 hours.

Rinse the cabbage leaves thoroughly in running, cold water and pat dry.

Kindly make a paste with the following and fold into the cabbage leaves:

• 2 TB garlic
• 2 TB ginger
• 1/2 Cup red chile, ground and blended with a few drops of warm water to make a paste
• 1 apple
• 1 yellow onion

In a large bowl or other large vessel thoroughly blend together this beautiful mess with your hands. By using your hands, you guarantee that every bit of cabbage will be coated with this pungent and spicy blessing.

Transfer this to a ceramic container, cover it, and let it sit out at room temp overnight for 24 hours.

Kept in the fridge, this will only develop in flavor.


Comments

Unknown said…
I haven't tried any Kimchi recipe before because it takes time to make it according to recipe blogs out there. I like spicy foods. Maybe that's why I fancy Korean Cuisine. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I'll definitely make one for our Korean Night.

Haley
Food Safety Course

Popular Posts