|Some with streusel, some with just brown sugar on top - both yum|
The new King Arthur Gluten-Free Baking Mix is a whopping 24 ounces per box, which means you make several of their recipes. I already made the Coffeecake Streusel muffins, you can read my review and recipe tips here. But I had some organic frozen mixed berries languishing in my freezer for far too long so I thought I’d use the leftover baking mix, add berries and make some streusel topping (also from the mix) and see what happened.
Some serious gluten-free, tree-nut free goodness happened!
|The perfect bite|
Here are the mash-up King Arthur Gluten-Free Baking Mix recipes with my substitutions.
1. Filling the muffin tins with a scant quarter (1/4) cup of batter plus streusel I was able to stretch this recipe from eight muffins to 12.
2. I also used grams and a kitchen scale which makes baking a real snap. King Arthur Flour has recipe conversions (to ounces or cups and teaspoons) on their site.
Mixed Berry Muffins with Streusel Topping - Gluten-Free, Nut-Free
Yield: 12 muffins
82g King Arthur All-Purpose Gluten-Free Baking Mix (gluten-free, tree nut-free)
106g sugar in the raw
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
85g Spectrum organic palm shortening (dairy-free)
177g King Arthur All-Purpose Gluten-Free Baking Mix
99g sugar in the raw
50g Lucini Olive Oil
2 large Organic Valley eggs
113g milk (Lactaid lactose-free milk)
1/2 teaspoon gluten-free Neilsen-Massey vanilla extract
128g fresh or frozen blueberries Organic Cascadian Farms
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 12 wells of a standard muffin pan.
2) Stir together the dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl; set aside.
3) Whisk together the oil, eggs, milk, and vanilla.
4) Stir the dry mixture into the wet ingredients. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl, and continue to mix just until blended - a few lumps will remain.
5) Fold in the berries.
6) Fill the muffin cups with a scant quarter (1/4) cup.
7) Let the muffins rest for 10 minutes.
8) Mix the streusel topping while the muffins are resting and add to the muffins.
|Muffins are a go!|
9)Then bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
8) Remove the muffins from the oven, and after 5 minutes transfer them to a rack to cool.
Yield: 12 muffins.
|Finished muffin - a cross slice of heaven!|