Atavistic Thrummings

A few weeks back, I was with safe friends (remember those?) Vivi and F. at the MOMA Free Fridays to see the Henri Cartier-Bresson exhibit. (It’s overcrowded and there’s too much to look at and it’s pretty overwhelmingly glorious--go, go.) As we sat in the courtyard, the subject of my recent Hebrew lessons came up.

F., author of GoverningWorks.com said, “Do you feel any atavistic thrummings when you’re learning Hebrew?”

I’ve been taking Hebrew lessons this spring. I didn’t complete my Hebrew education as a child (I dropped out when I was ten, I hated it) and I never looked back as a teen. But as an adult, I did feel like I was missing out, the tiniest bit, especially during the High Holy days.

Learning the Hebrew language has been on my list of things to do for a few years. But who has time for another language? With non-Latin-based characters? That reads from right to left? That has vowels under the consonants? But not when you read the Israeli newspapers, which have no vowels at all?

Yup, that would be me raising my hand.

And what does any of this have to do with food allergies?

It’s about expansion. Or said another way, by Martha Stewart, according to Twitter: "When you're through changing, you're through."

Yes, I have some restrictions of a dietary nature because of food allergies and food intolerances. You do, too. But that doesn’t *have* to bleed into every area of life.

How I keep that restricted feeling at bay is by expanding in other areas. Learning a really difficult language as an adult? Boy, oh boy - am I expanding. And yes, I do feel some ancient tribal stirrings (or "atavistic thrummings") which are an added inspiring: “Wow”.

I wonder in what non-foodie ways you feel you’re expanding or would like to expand?

Please, share.

Comments

ByTheBay said…
That's great that you're doing this! Hebrew is very easy to learn to read. I don't speak much of it but I have read it since childhood. Way to go!
Allergic Girl® said…
hahah i thought you'd like this news.
yes i find i can read but knowing what im reading is another story. it's such an aha when i recognize mo-she!
I was just thinking about this idea the other day but couldn't verbalize as well as you have.

This summer I am taking a Bollywood-style dance class, a disco-style dance class and sewing my first ever(!) quilt.

Perpetually on the list - mastering gluten-free/dairy-free cooking. It's nice to get out of that (allergic) head and throw all that focus and energy into something fun and new.

Popular Posts