Hello Helio

Michael kindly invited me to a Helio event at Bendels last night. The phones were quite cool looking with lots of extras I'll never need and some I might. The deal they were offering seemed quite reasonable too--all which made me think of investiagting them further.

The party was strictly a wine, cheese and chat affair. Or in this case martinis, olive bar, skewered shrimp and lots of posing affair. Add in extra gorgeous model-waiter-whatevers at the helm and a great DJ--big shout out to you talented DJ-man and a decent time was had. Oksana Baiul was there in leopard leggings, a fake fur and bright red lipstick, I think, looking not cute. I'm not hating, but still, she was not cute. And the actress who plays Sloan on Entourage, Emanuelle Chimmichurri or something like that.

But I was barely paying attention to them because I was discovering a singular, kindred allergic spirit in a crowded room.

It was when asked what I do, and I mentioned this site, that we discovered our many alergic similarities including asthma! It was like an allergy-off! Or like that scene, you know the one, from that Woody Allen play, then movie, “Play It Again Sam”? When the Woody character meets a girl and their entire conversation is about what pills to take with what drink?

Allan: You want a Fresca with a Darvon?
Linda: Unless you have apple juice.
Allan: Apple juice and Darvon is fantastic together!
Linda: Have you ever had Librium and tomato juice?
Allan: No, I haven't personally, but another neurotic tells me they're unbelievable.


Our convo turned into that, but with no drugs nor soda but alot of "can you drink milk?" and "can you eat peanuts?"

As a child I felt like I was the only one with allergies and back then I was: in my class, my grade, practically in the whole school. There wasn’t the explosion there is now with allergies and allergy-free foods and allergy products and awareness and non-profit organizations and benefits to support those charities and FDA regulations on labels. Whew! Hallelujah to all that.

But amen to also meeting a guy at a party who, when you say “I can’t eat the hors d’oeuvres” and he asks “why?” and you say “because I have no idea what’s in them and I’m allergic to everything” and his face lights up and he says “me too”.

That “me too” is huge.

Amen to all of the me too's out there. Welcome!

Comments

Popular Posts