Food Allergy Counseling

Food Allergy Counseling
Sloane Miller, Food Allergy Counselor (Picture © Noel Malcolm 2013)

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Brecht at Liederkranz

Friday night, my vocal coach, Peggy Atkinson, directed this production of Brecht’s Seven Deadly Sins and Mahagonny that was staged this weekend at Liederkranz . [Coincidently, the site where I took acting lessons from a Method acting teacher and student of Lee Strasberg in the 1980s. Imagine a grade-schooler doing The Method . ]

New York is a city that is incredibly rich in culture of all kinds at all price points and appreciation levels. Friday night was a small production to mainly an audience of Liederkranz members and friends of the actors, most of whom were recent Juilliard grads.

My brief review: I had no expectations and I wasn’t disappointed. It was fun, not a dreary and laborious as Brecht can get. Some of the “dancing” was stilted; some of the singing was good; some of the acting/singing was too earnest [read: hard to watch]. But I was glad to see it and to support Pegs. [I had seen last season’s nominated Threepenny at Studio 54 last season and wasn’t enraptured. And I wasn’t alone: the audience actually sighed had a collective yawn at intermission. Perhaps I’m not a Brecht fan, I haven’t seen enough to make an informed decision yet].

No comments: