Traveling With Allergies

I received an encouraging email the other day from a regular reader, Dave, who asked if I’m always as upbeat about allergies and asthma and dealing with them as my blog portrays. I replied, yes basically this blog reflects who I am most of the time.

However.

Traveling, leaving the safety of my apartment, my neighborhood, my city-that’s when I get a little panicky. Still. I’ve talked about that a few times on this blog. Even when I’ve traveled to familiar places like the Hamptons, I’m nervous about it.

But I go. I force myself to go. And to enjoy! Yes, I have to remind myself to do that sometimes.

After years of giving in to my fears about traveling, as an adult, I force myself to make the effort. So for this trip I’ve already gotten a few tips from some of you out there. I’ve checked out the possible yoga spots. I have my dog eared copy of Edith Wharton's The Age of Innocence. I did some homework on restaurant using this handy online site, Tablehound.com; it has a nut-free search option-super cool. The hotel is dog-free. I've packed trip snacks. My meds are up to date. I’m good to go.

Yay, summer weekend trip!

Comments

allergic diner said…
Have a great allergy-free vacation, and I can't wait to read all about it.
I think because you are so upbeat all time it's hard to imagine that you'd ever be nervous and we forget that EVERYONE travelling with food allergies or venturing into unchartered waters with food allergies would be nervous. You make it look so effortless! But of course we know that's not the case. Have a fabulous time. Can't wait to read all about it.
Allergic Girl® said…
exactly! it looks effortless b/c i put in alot of effort! ;-)

essentially, i do for myself what you do for your children. and what they will learn to do for themselves b/c you will have taught them!
Sheri said…
Braver than me - I have yet to eat outside of my home, other than at picnics where I brought my own food, since I went gluten free - almost a year ago!

Popular Posts