**Segment airs March 9 during the 8am hour! Channel 11 in NYC: http://bit.ly/fHE9Mq**
From the Tribune Broadcasting press release: Beginning today, PIX11 Morning News will be airing a week long initiative to raise awareness of these allergies, with segments airing Monday, March 7th through Friday, March 11th at 6:55, 7:20, and 8:20am.
“Food allergies affect millions of people everyday – we, at PIX11, are taking this opportunity to feature developments and resources–not only for those who have food allergies–but for the many of us who have relationships with people with these allergies,” said Eric Meyrowitz, PIX11 Vice President/General Manager. “Food Allergy Awareness Week will feature some of the nation’s top doctors and common challenges, as well as people’s everyday experiences, among other relevant topics.”
• ALLERGY 101: a primer on food allergies, plus information on new medical research;
• HOW TO COPE: Tips on how to live with food allergies, medications, treatments and products;
• WHAT TO DO IN AN EMERGENCY: A live demonstration of what to do if someone is having an allergic reaction;
• SHOPPING SMART: PIX11 will shop with a allergist and learn how to read food labels;
• TRAVEL: Traveling with food allergies is difficult, PIX11 will showcase the best food allergy travel destinations;
• THE PSYCHOLOGY OF ALLERGIES: PIX11 will explore how allergies affect the sufferer and the family;
• SAFE SCHOOLS: PIX11 visits a school in Long Island and in New York City already practicing safe public food services and allergy safe zones;
• FOOD CHALLENGE: PIX11 will follow a patient taking a food challenge at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York;
• LAW & ORDER: Legislators who are making a difference; PIX11 profiles City Council Member Jessica Lappin, who sponsored bill Int. # 818A which established the food allergy reference posters which are now required in New York City restaurants;
• COOKING FOR ISAIAH: A local mother from Brooklyn developed a gluten-free/dairy-free cookbook to help prepare meals for her son. Sylvana Nardone, the founding Editor-in-Chief of Everyday with Rachael Ray magazine, will be on set with her son Isaiah to cook an allergy-free dish with the PIX11 Morning News team;
• ALLERGIES & THE CITY: A profile of a family raising awareness in lower income communities;
• ALLERGIC GIRL: detailed information on bloggers with useful sites and online information.