“Le Veneziane” Gluten-Free Pasta

Gluten-free pasta is a tricky thing.

If you’ve tried the various brands and types on the market, you know: "gluey, dense, soggy, tastes off-putting" are just a few of the adjectives to describe when a good idea for a gluten-free pasta goes bad.

When I went gluten-free, back in 2005, I looked to the blogosphere to see which brands people loved and hands down it seemed to be Tinkyada, which I’ve stuck with as my go-to brand ever since.

But if you know me, you know I’m always pushing myself to try new things, new foods, new safe brands. So, last night when I went to Opus, I was intrigued to try their Italian corn based pasta, “Le Veneziane”. I had heard of it but hadn’t tried it. Opus owner Enzo said it tasted like “the real thing” and he wouldn’t use anything else. (Brand loyalty is so interesting isn’t it?) Made in Italy, out of two ingredients, corn and water (neither of which I have any issues with but if you are corn allergic, def. not for you) I said, “Sure, bring it on.” And had the spaghetti with homemade Bolognese sauce (which was delish!)

And the pasta? Enzo was right! Made al dente, the texture was right, the mouth feel is great and with some meat sauce on top it tasted like “real” pasta to me. Now mind you I haven’t had wheat in 3.5 years and one’s tastes changes when one eliminates a food. But for my money, the pasta that Opus served me last night was delicioso—I have half of it for lunch today and I can’t wait.

“Le Veneziane” is not so easy to find as Gluten-free NYC discovered last year. However, you can get it on Amazon.com and through Quattrobimbi who will be doing a pasta giveaway this month through my newsletter!

Comments

Jenny said…
Do you have any info about brands of GF pasta containing the ingredient, lupin? Apparently this protein can cause nut-allergic people to react and is found occasionally in Italian brands of GF pasta.

I just found out about this and figured you might know. In fact, I just posted a blog entry about it.

Since you avoid both gluten and nuts, you may know more about this than me!
Allergic Girl® said…
hey jenny

yeah i saw your post today and meant to comment.

this pasta is just corn as far as i know and as far as it states.

but you are very correct, many oversea GF products use "lupin" or "lupine" flour.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lupin

which is part of the legume family. so peanut and legume allergic folks really need to watch out for that ingredient.
Anonymous said…
Hi Jenny,

This is Giorgio with Quattrobimbi.

I had been told by the manufacturer in Italy that there is no cross-contamination in their factory. I did however just follow-up with an eMail to them for further confirmation.

Like Sloane said, the only ingredients are corn meal and water. A more complete description can be found here.
Thanks for the article. I use only healthy pasta for my family.
The last few times I ordered it online at Whole And Natural.com. They have a large selection at very reasonable prices and ship fast.

Healthy Holidays to all,
Debby
Giorgio said…
Some of the BiAglut pasta which I will be carrying in the US again soon, does contain "lupin".

"Le Veneziane" pasta brand does not contain Lupin.

Hope this helps...

Popular Posts