Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble

On Wednesday, my local greenmarket had the last of the fresh strawberries and fresh rhubarb. Today, whilst waiting for the cable guy and the exterminator, I thought I’d whip up a crumble with Gluten-free Pantry Crumble mix. It has sugar in it but I’m only going to have a little; I’ll most likely bring it to a publishing potluck dinner party on Saturday.

Here’s a picture of my mise en place mid-action:


UPDATE: Sigh. This is the worst crumble I've ever made; it's also the first GF crumble I've made. I made a last minute switcheroo from rhubarb to blueberries but I don't think that's the issue, although rhubarb acts as a thickener.

The crumble never crumbled-it's like sludge, sweet berry sludge.

And it's waaaaay too sweet; I'm so not used to sugar.

Perhaps the butter was too warm when I cut it into the rice flour mixture; perhaps the strawberries were too fresh, if that's possible, too watery. What to do with this sweet mistake? If I were eating ice cream this would be a great accompaniment but alas not for me right now. Hmmmm, gonna have to get creative with this.

What do you do with your cooking mistakes?

Comments

Heather said…
I throw my mistakes in the trash, especially the gluten-free ones. :)

Maybe there was too much liquid in the berries? Who knows?
Allergic Girl® said…
so sad, the srawberries were SOOOO good. i just hate to discard it, it's expensive! but i may have to and start over.
How about putting it over some plain soy yogurt? The blandness of the plain yogurt might cut some of the sweetness of crumble. I rarely throw out mistakes (and I have a lot). I always find another use :)
Allergic Girl® said…
great idea i just dont do that much soy--how about if i air ship it to you? ;-)
We'll take it! I love berries and anything sweet is welcome :) Rice yogurt? Haven't tried it, but recently seen it. Probably too much of a hassle, but maybe something to file away for a future faux pas.
Allergic Girl® said…
rice yogurt, sigh. good idea but it must be soooo processed. nor have i seen it in stores.

oooh but it would be great with bird's custard.

you think fed ex has a "failed dessert" shipping container? ;-)

Popular Posts