The company was excellent; the dinner made me a little unwell, sleepy, and I was suddenly slurring my words a little. Odd right? And no, I didn’t drink.
I had grilled Portobello mushroom salad, a taste of some Italian-style chicken livers, and a Caprese salad.
About halfway through my first Portobello mushroom, I started to feel a little funny. Not hive-y nor itchy, although I did start to sneeze like some pollen has just blown in, but I was struck by extreme fatigue, the kind where you feel drugged.
I’ve had this before from food, not often, not in a while but I recognized it immediately as what I think is a form of an allergic reaction.
I don’t have data to back it up. Nor a name for it. All I have is this anecdote that halfway through this lovely dinner with old family friends, I couldn’t concentrate, I couldn’t enter the conversation; I had entered fogland. It wasn't pleasant, especially as the conversation about a 4-week stay in New Zealand.
PS: I just found this article about allergic fatigue related to mold/fungus. Could this have been due to the mushroom which is a fungus? Seems unlikely but maybe.